Thursday, January 21, 2010

Some Explanations for Adam-God

Scholars and defenders of Mormonism have offered several possible explanations for Brigham's Adam-God statements. Here are a few of the theories:
  1. Brigham was speaking of Adam in the context of Adam being the patriarch of the human family.
  2. Transcription errors
  3. Adam was a name/title for God as well as the actual name for the first man
  4. Brigham was wrong
I find # 1 and #2 a bit hard to swallow. Brigham's statements just don't square with the first theory and there would have to be a lot of transcription errors for the second theory to hold any water. Personally, I don't buy either of them.

There does seem to be some merit for the last 2 theories however. We know that Elias is a name/title for prophets who are forerunners; and we also know there was at least one prophet with the name of Elias so there is a scriptural pattern. I give this theory credibility because its author, Elden Watson, is an unusually knowledgeable scholar on Brigham Young who also has a firm understanding of our doctrine. His credibility gives this theory credibility.

I also think there is a lot of merit to theory #4, that Brigham was wrong. While I'm reluctant to take this position out of faith in modern prophets; my faith would not be tested even if this turned out to be the case. I will explain why in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment